Friday 20 May 2011

3 Reasons I Don’t Like the Doctor Who Seasons 5 and 6 (as Much as I Liked the Older Ones)

1)   There has been no change in the doctor or his companions from season 5 to season 6. This was one of my favorite things about Doctor Who, having either a new companion or a new Doctor each season. I loved the change. I loved getting to know these new characters, I loved seeing the Doctor meet new people and take them on an adventure through time and space. It is part of what Doctor Who is to me, and now that I am watching the second season with the same doctor and the same companions, I feel like there is something missing.


2)      There have been no reappearances of any of the old characters. So far, the old characters have always made a comeback in the new seasons, typically those from the 2005 remake, but Russel T. Davies also got Sarah Jane and the Master on board for a few episodes, and I loved it. I love seeing the new characters interact with the old ones, interact with each other, or with the new Doctor. And I just love seeing them again, because it’s just nice. It’s fun. So far, there have been none. Sure, in season 5, some of the old enemies were brought back, but no actual characters.

Also, there has been no Captain Jack Harkness for a very, very long time. Enough said.  
("Hello, there. Name's Captain Jack Harkness, and who are you?" 
"Doctor? Is he flirting with my husband?!"
I would probably give very, very much to see this scene)



3)      The fact that the Doctor has a love interest who is non-Time Lord. It just bugs me. I know that he has a granddaughter in the first two seasons, so he probably had a wife, or at least a love interest, at some time, but that was when he was on Galifrey, with other Time Lords. He has been portrayed as the lonely traveler in the remake, which I thought was pretty reasonable and a nice difference to his otherwise cheerful and carefree demeanor. It created this beautifully contrasting character, always lonely, but always traveling with others, always looking for companions.
Also, I just don’t like River Song. She bugs me. 

That said, if someone asks me "Star Wars or Star Trek?" I respond with "Doctor Who!". Always. 

No comments:

Post a Comment